Friday, February 18, 2011

A Lil Glass Milk Bottle

I went Antiquing yesterday, in search of an oak piece I have been longing for, and I came across this lil glass milk bottle. I bought it and chatted to the broker as I checked out. When I got home, I couldnt wait to wash it and take some picture of it. I dried it with a towel , and put it in the freezer, but I couldnt wait so I filled it up and took these pictures.











Nice huh?
I woke up this morning and mixed a glass of Chocolate Milk (My drink of the day, all day long)! As I sat at the table eating Fruits on my mother in laws antique china,  and enjoying my aluminum drinking glass,
I knew my favorite piece this morning was my lil milk bottle. Somehow that milk tasted better than the milk in the plastic jug, and the lil milk bottle made the table a little more festive. Yep I like my lil milk bottle.
It took almost 30 years to find one, but I finally did.! i HAVE SEEN A LOT OF LIL MILK BOTTLES OVER THE YEARS,  But I was looking for this one. This one would be just another lil milk bottle to anyone else, but its a piece of my Grandchildren Heritage. This lil milk jug was from My ex husbands great grandfathers dairy farm. There it is in blue letters across the front Beck Springs Diaries. And the family name across the back Rychen Brothers Dairies, and Quality First.,Rychen sounds like Richen. Its a Swedish name.

According to the census of 19

John RICHEN, 37, farmer, born Switzerland; Elisabeth, 35, born SW;
Anna, 9; John, 8; Emil, 7; Emma, 4; Linna, 2. (In Gruetli
Community Records: Johann RYCHEN, from Interlaken, Turn, SW, and
Elisabeth, nee THONI, had daughter Emma born May 1876 and another
daughter named Emma born Aug 1877; sons, John and Emil, were
christened 21 Mar 1875. In census of Davidson County, TN, 1900,
John RYCHEN, 28; Annie, 21, wife; John, Jr., born Aug 1899;
Emil, brother, 26; Lena, sister, 22; Peter THONI, uncle, 32;
three boarders included Tobe WICHSER, 25, of Gruetli. The parents,
John and Elisabeth THONI RICHEN, had married 22 Jan 1869, in
Switzerland.


William O. Harris; Rychen Brothers dairy

http://www.swisssocietyofnashville.org/pastpresidents.html

http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?cj=1&srchb=r&gss=affiliate&rank=1&gl=allgs&gspl=1,Any+Locality&pcc=2&prox=1&gsln=Rychen&o_xid=0001231454&o_lid=0001231454

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~colleengormley/web/cak-genea/pafg185.htm
http://grundycountyhistory.org/01_Soc/Archives/1999_Path.pdf